Trying Out Two Blends from Death Wish Coffee!
As someone who enjoys dabbling in their fair share of organic coffee, I’ve often noticed the distinctive bag of Death Wish Coffee Co.‘s traditional blend sitting on the shelves.
With it’s bold and striking skull-and-crossbones design, this bag pulls no punches in telling the passing consumer that this is some serious coffee.
Each time I saw it, I made a mental note to purchase this coffee when I got the chance and give it an official taste test.
The World’s Strongest Whole Bean Coffee
I take coffee drinking fairly seriously, so I’m no stranger to consuming increasingly high quantities of caffeine. That being said, Death Wish’s claim that their traditional blend is the strongest coffee in the world was certainly something that caught my eye.
Along with the skull and crossbones on the front, this blend makes no qualms that it is a force to be reckoned with and shouldn’t be taken lightly by the first-time drinker.
It was, therefore, with great care and planning that I went about preparing my very first batch of Death Wish Coffee Co.’s traditional blend.
- EXTRA KICK OF CAFFEINE: Our whole roasted coffee beans will utterly transform your basic cup of joe into a delicious, bold, and intense beverage that will revolutionize your morning. Super fuel for life in the fast lane, our dark coffee beans will ignite your senses and supply you with an abundance of energy your body needs to perform at its peak condition all day long.
- PREMIUM QUALITY BREW: This ain't your normal cup of coffee - our whole bean roasted coffee is hands down the best this world has to offer. With just one sip of our dark roast whole bean coffee, you'll be saying goodbye to store-bought coffee forever. Enjoy the perfect blend of high quality energy and artisanal flavor with each and every sip of our roasted coffee beans.
- EMBRACE THE BOLD: Immerse yourself in a smooth, subtle cherry and chocolate flavor profile that is never bitter. We've thoughtfully and carefully selected premium Arabica and Robusta whole coffee beans from around the world to deliver you a coffee beans dark roast beverage with a bold taste you’ll find irresistible and instantly fall in love with.
- FAIR TRADE AND ORGANIC: Every single 80 oz. Death Wish Coffee whole bean bag is filled to the top with organic whole coffee beans that will create coffee so good that it will blow your mind. Fair Trade and USDA certified organic, our coffee whole beans give you a natural caffeine boost that you can be feel good to support.
- TRY IT RISK-FREE: The Death Wish Promise is that our organic whole bean coffee comes highly rated by thousands of satisfied customers who simply can't get enough but we'll let you be the judge. If you don't fall in love with our coffee, we'll refund your order- no questions asked. We're confident ours will be the best coffee you'll ever try.
Smooth and Complex Aroma
When you first open the bag, the aroma is immediately striking, as it should always be with a blend of this caliber. However, the aroma isn’t one of deathly bitterness, as the image and tagline on the bag might initially suggest, but an actually fairly sweet and deep aroma somewhat akin to chocolate-covered cherries.
My heart gave a leap, and I proceeded to measure a few tablespoons of the gleaming black beans into my coffee grinders.
Thankfully for me, Death Wish’s coffees come in their original whole bean form, allowing you to choose the grain size you want your beans ground too.
For someone who uses a french press, such as myself, this customization is necessary to get the most out of every cup.
I grind the beans slightly course and pour them out into my french press.
Before the water boils, I pour it on the coffee grounds, give a good stir with a wooden spoon, place the lid, and start the wait.
A Deceptively Smooth Blend
Finally, it is time to pour my first cup. As is my tradition, I eschew sugar and cream and choose to take the first taste black to see the blend’s true virility.
It is exuberant! If the traditional Death Wish blend didn’t advertise itself as being the strongest coffee in the world, you wouldn’t know it from an initial taste test.
Instead, what you get upon your first impression is an indelibly smooth and expertly cultivated blend that is much more lively than it is *ahem* dead.
While there is certainly a little kick and flutter in your heart after a couple of sips from the caffeine, the overall experience is an incredibly satisfying and relaxing one– the pure joy that comes from sipping on a deep and complex blend of coffee.
Valhalla Java Odinforce Blend
I had the good sense not to try and taste the two blends back to back, both so I could enjoy them each with a fresh palette, and so I didn’t overdose on the caffeine (I am experienced, but not stupid).
I had a few more cups of the traditional blend throughout the day and chose to save the Valhalla Java Odinforce Blend for the next morning.
This blend has an interesting selling point of being inspired by and designed for guitarist Zakk Wylde, known for his work as the figurehead of Ozzy Osbourne’s touring band.
That seems on-point regarding the overall aesthetics of the Death Wish Coffee Co. brand, and hopefully, I’ll be able to perform some shredding solos after ingesting this supposed “nectar of the gods.”
- BY THE POWER OF ODIN: Meet the Valhalla Java Odinforce blend—coffee...
- EXTRA KICK OF CAFFEINE: Our whole roasted coffee beans will utterly...
- PREMIUM QUALITY BREW: This ain't your normal cup of coffee - our whole bean...
- FULL BODY BREW: Our Valhalla Java Odinforce Blend ensures you’re getting...
- TRY IT RISK-FREE: The Death Wish Promise is that our organic whole bean...
A Decidedly Earthy Aroma
Upon opening the bag, it’s immediately apparent that this is a very different blend than its predecessor. Whereas the traditional blend was smooth and sweet, like chocolate-covered cherries, this blend is dark and earthy, more akin to dried cherries and roasted cacao beans.
As someone who prefers more subdued and subtle notes in my coffee, I immediately developed a slight preference for this one over the traditional blend.
I repeated my coffee-making mundanities and eventually had the steaming cup of Valhalla Java in my hand.
Once again, the aroma did not disappoint, and it was with great excitement that I took my first sip. I have to say that this blend did a good deal more for me than the traditional blend, which itself was pretty great.
It’s no wonder that this coffee was given a mythological branding, as there is something almost ancient and primordial about its taste, so deep and complex that it’s quite unlike any other coffee I’ve ever tasted. If I were Zakk Wylde, I would be very proud to have inspired a coffee blend as subtle, mature, and unique as this one.
Said to be made of beans cultivated from 5 different sources, including sources rich with volcanic earth (allowing unique mineral and nutrient profiles), this blend gives coffee drinkers a taste that they’ll need to experience first-hand to understand.
A Great and Unique Blend
While the exceptional taste and aroma of the Valhalla Java Odinforce blend are certainly it’s two main selling points, this blend also seems to have slightly subdued caffeine content in comparison to the traditional blend.
While caffeine content is still likely stronger than most other coffees on the market, it didn’t seem quite as strong as the main blend.
As well, Death Wish Coffee Co. still advertises the traditional blend as being the strongest in the world. Surely, while the Valhalla Java Odinforce blends offer an incredible buzz for even the experienced coffee drinker, it might be the better option for those put off by the menacing skull-and-crossbones design featured on the bag of the traditional blend.
Me, personally, I could see a place for each blend in my library of beans, and, in retrospect, probably could’ve had a cup of each back-to-back without experiencing too many heart palpitations.
Both Blends Have Something to Offer
$17.48 ($1.09 / Ounce)
$14.99 ($1.25 / Ounce)
I certainly preferred the Valhalla Java Odinforce blend just a little bit when put to the test against its more traditional cousin, but both were incredible blends that I felt had a lot to offer.
The traditional blend could be the way to go if your primary concern is an abundance of caffeine or if you like your coffee on the sweet and smoother side.
The Valhalla Java Odinforce blend, meanwhile, would likely end up being the preferred choice for those who want a little bit less caffeine or those who tend to prefer more subdued and earthy notes in their taste profiles overall.
For those who aren’t so sure which blend they think they would prefer, trying both is always a great option. Each blend has something special to offer, and both of them are exceptional. If you aren’t satisfied (an unlikely occurrence), Death Wish Coffee Co. will refund your order free of charge.
Death Wish Coffees Are Surprisingly Low-Acid
A striking thing about both blends being offered by Death Wish Coffee Co. is that they are deceptively low in their overall acidity, given their incredible strength and boldness, as well as their exuberant caffeine content.
This seems to be due to both the patient roasting process and the careful cultivation of their beans.
Whereas other maximum-strength coffees oftentimes pose problems with heartburn and other digestion issues, both of these blends from Death Wish go down just as smooth as they taste, offering a steady and sufficient caffeine buzz that won’t go on to mess up your body’s alkalinity.
By choosing to support high-quality brands like Death Wish Coffee Co., you get a stronger and healthier cup of coffee that helps pave the way for more organic and Fair Trade practices throughout the industry.
Keep yourself and your world healthy and happy, and stay wide awake while doing it!
Death Wish Coffee Co. Makes Dangerously Strong USDA Certified Organic and Fair Trade Coffee
If you’re looking for a USDA Certified Organic and Fair Trade whole bean coffee that’ll take you to new places, and you don’t mind consuming an exceptional amount of caffeine, neither of these incredible blends being offered by Death Wish Coffee Co. should be overlooked.
With each blend offering something unique from the competition and unique from each other, trying out a bag of each at least once seems like a no-brainer for all-caliber coffee aficionados.
As well, the fact that each blend is Certified Organic and Fair Trade means that you can feel happy and healthy about all aspects of your coffee drinking, that is, unless you have a low tolerance for caffeine!