If you’re a coffee lover, you’ve probably heard of Lardera Coffee Roasters. They’re a small-batch coffee roaster known for its high-quality, specialty coffee.
Recently, they’ve released a new product called the French Press Singles. These are essentially portable bags of coffee that you can dunk in hot water to make a quick and easy cup of coffee.
In this article, we’ll review Lardera’s French Press Singles and give you our honest opinion about their taste and convenience.
What is French Press Singles?
French Press Singles are portable bags of coffee that you can use to make a cup of coffee on the go.
They’re essentially tea bags filled with coffee grounds. The idea is that you can brew a cup of coffee wherever you are without needing a French press or any other coffee-making equipment.
Each bag contains 20g of ground coffee that is nitrogen flushed to ensure freshness.
What You Need to Make French Press Singles
Making Lardera’s French Press Singles is a simple process that can be done with just a few basic tools. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Hot water: The optimal temperature for brewing Lardera’s French Press Singles is 205°F, which is just below boiling. You can use a thermometer to measure the temperature, or simply bring water to a boil and then let it cool for a minute or two.
- A mug: Any standard-sized mug will work for brewing French Press Singles.
- Lardera’s French Press Singles: Remove a single coffee bag from the box and open it.
While a gooseneck kettle is preferred for optimal control over the water flow, it is not strictly necessary. A regular kettle or even a microwave can be used to heat the water.
Here’s how to make a delicious cup of coffee:
- Place the coffee bag in your mug.
- Pour the hot water over the coffee bag, making sure to wet all the coffee grounds.
- Allow the coffee to steep for 3-4 minutes.
- After 3-4 minutes, remove the coffee bag and discard it.
- Add any additional ingredients, such as milk or sugar, to taste.
By using water at the optimal temperature and steeping the coffee for the recommended time, you can enjoy a perfectly brewed cup of Lardera’s French Press Singles.
What flavors are available?
Lardera Coffee Roasters offers a diverse range of five flavors for their French Press Singles. Each flavor is unique and carefully crafted to offer a distinct taste profile. Here are the five available flavors:
- Catuai Natural:
- This complex blend of juicy clementines, tart cranberries, and ripe pomegranate hails from the Don Mayo micro mill, one of the oldest in the Tarrazu region of Costa Rica, owned by Hector Bonilla and his family.
- Geisha Caturra Washed:
- This heirloom variety Gesha is combined with Caturra and processed in the traditional wet (washed) fermentation method. The cup is notably bright with notes of citrus, red apples, and grapes.
- Junin Anaerobic:
- This flavor is produced using the anaerobic process, which involves fermenting de-pulped cherries devoid of oxygen in water-filled vessels. It produces fruit-forward coffee that is abundant in complexity and low in acidity. This lot is an atomic bomb of tropical fruit flavors.
- Junin Natural:
- This flavor is a naturally processed coffee, whereby the cherries are allowed to dry and ferment in their “natural” state. The result is a geyser of lush tropical flavors like mango, passionfruit, and papaya.
- Monobamba Washed:
- This coffee is grown in the Monobamba region, where the Amazon jungle meets the Andes. Its altitude and climate are ideal for cultivating great coffee. This flavor is clean, bright, vibrant, and complex, with notes of tangerine, concord grapes, and currants.
Whether you prefer fruity and complex flavors or a more traditional taste profile, Lardera’s French Press Singles has something to offer for every coffee lover.
What do they taste like?
Lardera’s French Press Singles are known for their unique and diverse flavor profiles. Here’s a breakdown of what you can expect from each flavor:
- Catuai Natural:
- This blend of juicy clementines, tart cranberries, and ripe pomegranate from the Don Mayo micro mill in Costa Rica has a mild and subtle taste profile. While the fruity flavors are present, they are not as pronounced as some may prefer.
- Geisha Caturra Washed:
- This flavor has a bright and lively taste with notes of citrus, red apples, and grapes. However, some may find it to be too acidic and lacking in depth.
- Junin Anaerobic:
- This flavor is a fruit-forward coffee with complex and bold flavors that pop in your mouth. Some may find it to be too intense and overwhelming, with a sour aftertaste.
- Junin Natural:
- This flavor has a lush and tropical taste profile with prominent notes of mango, passionfruit, and papaya. However, the sweetness may be overpowering for some and there is a lack of balance between the flavors.
- Monobamba Washed:
- This coffee has a clean, vibrant, and complex flavor profile with notes of tangerine, concord grapes, and currants. However, it may lack the full-bodied richness that some coffee lovers seek.
Overall, Lardera’s French Press Singles offer a convenient and easy way to enjoy specialty coffee on the go. While each flavor has its unique taste profile, some may find certain flavors to be lacking in boldness, depth, or balance. However, they still provide a quality cup of coffee without the hassle of traditional brewing methods.
How convenient is French Press Singles?
One of the best things about French Press Singles is how convenient they are. They’re perfect for when you’re on the go and don’t have access to a coffee maker or French press.
They’re also great for camping trips or other outdoor activities where you want a hot cup of coffee without the hassle of brewing it yourself.
Additionally, they’re incredibly easy to use and require no cleanup, making them a great option for busy mornings or when you’re in a hurry.
How much do French Press Singles cost?
Lardera’s French Press Singles are an affordable option for coffee lovers on the go.
Every single envelope is priced at $1.50, making it a convenient and cost-effective way to enjoy specialty coffee anytime, anywhere.
For those who want to stock up, a box of 8 envelopes is available for $9.00, offering even greater savings.
Customers who spend over $49 on Lardera’s website can enjoy free shipping on their orders. For those who do not meet the free shipping threshold, ground shipping is available for a flat rate of $3.75.
This makes it easy and affordable to get your favorite coffee blends delivered straight to your door.
Where can I buy French Press Singles?
French Press Singles are currently only available for purchase on Lardera Coffee Roasters’ website.
How do French Press Singles compare to other coffee options?
Compared to other coffee options, French Press Singles are incredibly convenient and easy to use. They’re perfect for on-the-go coffee lovers who don’t want to deal with the
hassle of brewing a whole pot of coffee or cleaning up a French press. They’re also a great option for those who enjoy specialty coffee but don’t have access to a coffee shop or brewing equipment.
However, it’s important to keep in mind that French Press Singles is not a replacement for high-quality, freshly brewed coffee.
While they do have a good flavor profile, they may not be as nuanced or complex as a cup of coffee that’s been freshly brewed with high-quality beans.
How long do French Press Singles stay fresh?
Lardera’s French Press Singles are nitrogen flushed to ensure maximum freshness. However, like any other coffee product, they will start to lose their flavor over time.
It’s recommended to use them within six months of purchase for best results.
How do French Press Singles compare to traditional French press coffee?
While French Press Singles are designed to be a more convenient version of French press coffee, they do have some differences in flavor and texture.
Traditional French press coffee has a thicker, more velvety mouthfeel and often has more sediment at the bottom of the cup.
French Press Singles, on the other hand, have a cleaner flavor profile and a smoother finish. It’s a matter of personal preference when it comes to which method you prefer.
Are French Press Singles a good option for coffee lovers?
Overall, we think that Lardera’s French Press Singles is a great option for coffee lovers who want a quick and easy way to enjoy specialty coffee on the go.
They’re convenient, easy to use, and have a good flavor profile. While they may not be as nuanced as freshly brewed coffee, they’re still a great option for busy mornings or when you’re traveling.
How much coffee is in each French Press Single?
Each French Press Single contains 20g of ground coffee.
Can I reuse a French Press Single?
No, French Press Singles are designed for one-time use only.
How long do French Press Singles take to brew?
French Press Singles typically take 3-5 minutes to brew, depending on your desired strength.
Are French Press Singles more expensive than other coffee options?
French Press Singles are priced at $1.50 per bag or $9 for 8 bags, which is more expensive than traditional brewing methods like drip coffee. However, they offer a convenient option for on-the-go coffee lovers who want a high-quality cup of coffee without the hassle of brewing it themselves.
In conclusion, Lardera’s French Press Singles is a great addition to the specialty coffee market. They’re convenient, easy to use, and have a good flavor profile.
While they may not be as complex as freshly brewed coffee, they’re a great option for on-the-go coffee lovers who want a quick and easy way to enjoy high-quality coffee.