I know what you’re thinking: “coffee and cupcakes together? That sounds gross!” Trust me, it’s not. This is a recipe that I created by combining two of my favorite things: coffee and Oreo cookies. The result was surprisingly delicious! If you love both sweets and strong coffee, this might be the perfect recipe for you to try out.
- 24-Cup Muffin Pan (or2 12-Cup muffin pans)
- a mixer
- a large bowl
- a spatula
- a whisker
- 2 Cups Cake flour 260g
- 1/2 Cup Unsalted butter 113g
- 3/4 Cup Sugar 150g
- 2 Eggs large
- 2 tsp Espresso powder
- 1 tsp Coffee flavor
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1 tsp Pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 Cup Black coffee 60ml
- 1 Tbsp White chocolate melted
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 Cup Buttermilk 113g
- 1/2 Tbsp Distilled vinegar
- 1/2 Cup Oreo cookies crumbs or ground
- 4 Cups Confectioner’s sugar 480g
- 1 Cup Unsalted butter 230g
- 2 tsp Espresso powder
- 1 Tbsp White chocolate
- 1 Tbsp Black coffee
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- Garnish – Oreo cookies Chocolate Chips (optional)
Procedure (For Cupcakes):
- Preheat the oven to 180℃ (356℉).
- Line a 24-Cup Muffin Pan (or 2 12-Cup muffin pans) with cupcake liners and set it aside.
- Sieve all dry ingredients (i.e. cake flour, espresso powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt) in a large bowl. Whisk together and set aside.
- Using a mixer, beat the butter at high speed for about 1 minute. Add the sugar and beat on high speed for about 3 minutes until creamed together.
- Always scrape down the sides, up and bottom of the bowl with a spatula or spoon, to ensure even mixing.
- Add the eggs (one at a time) and beat on medium speed until evenly mixed.
- In a mixing cup, mix together the black coffee, coffee flavor, vanilla extract, distilled vinegar, and white chocolate.
- Add the coffee mixture and buttermilk into the creamed butter mixture, hand-mix together until just combined using a whisker or spatula.
- Add the flour mixture and mix until fully incorporated. Do not over-mix.
- Add the oreo cookies (after removing 2 tablespoons) and mix together until evenly mixed.
- Spoon batter into cupcake liners (2 tablespoons per liner, to ensure it doesn’t spill over the sides of the liners). Sprinkle some cookies (using the 2 tablespoons removed) over the top.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
Procedure (For Frosting):
- In a mixing bowl, beat the butter at high speed using a mixer until smooth and creamy (about 2 minutes).
- Add the espresso powder, white chocolate, black coffee, and salt. Mix together with butter at medium speed for about 30 seconds.
- Add the confectioners’ sugar in 3 portions, beat at low speed after each addition for about 30 seconds, then at medium speed for about 3 minutes.
- Note: Add more confectioners’ sugar if the frosting is too thin (up to ½ cup). Add 1 – 2 teaspoons of distilled vinegar if the mixture is too thick.
- Frost the cooled cupcakes and garnish with Oreo cookies, Chocolate Chips, or any desired topping of your choice.
- Cover and store any leftover cupcake in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Multiply recipe for a larger barge of cupcakes.
- This recipe makes 24 cupcakes, and the cupcake liner size used is 12cm.
- Cake flour substitute: For every 1 cup of all-purpose flour, replace 2 tablespoons of flour with 2 tablespoons of corn starch (also known as corn flour).